Monday, April 26, 2010

Three Weddings and a Funeral

It was a crazy weekend! I guess this is what it feels like being a working, free-lance musician. But I will take it! Going from one event to another can be very exhausting. I feel like I'm always late, throwing my cello in my car and having to carry all my stuff around. Then, I have to play amazingly! Its easy to forget what is happening and why I'm there in the first place. This is someone's wedding or funeral. These people will remember this day for the rest of their lives. They will never get another opportunity to get married again or to bury their parent (well, ideally). I think its really easy for musicians and other event vendors to forget the importance of this event. I know I sometimes do.
Us vendors do so many events that its hard to keep them all straight and keep them fresh and different. Honestly, a lot of people want the same thing for their wedding: the same music as they walk down the isle, same dress, same venue, same flowers, cake, colors, etc. I can understand why, its tradition. Traditional wedding goods make everyone, members of the party and guests, feel comfortable and they know what to expect and how to conduct themselves.
However, I think that vendors, including myself, are to blame for assisting this "traditional style". As far as music goes, I have the Bridal Chorus, Wedding March and Canon down! For me, they are easy and sound beautiful. That's why I keep suggesting them to brides. I suspect that its the same for other vendors. Certain cakes are easier to make. Certain flowers are easier to arrange. Certain dresses are easier to design.
So, I will challenge myself to step up my game. To start suggesting music that is outside of the box. Its going to be unexpected and maybe make people uncomfortable, including myself. And, I want to challenge other vendors out there to do the same. Don't wait for a bride to come to you with a new idea. Come up with that idea first! I want to start making each wedding/funeral/party unique and individual. I want to make each just as important and memorable to me as it is to the bride and the families.
Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment